24 The Regalia Room
ROOM 24: During the period of Absolutism this tower room was the Treasury. Christian V kept the Regalia here, as well as the major part of the royal treasuries in the form of gold and precious stones, which were housed in two wall cupboards, still in existence. In the adjacent “Green Cabinet” (a small velvet-lined room in the tower extension behind the panel door on the right) the “next best” possessions: handicrafts, miniature portraits and parade arms were displayed.
When Rosenborg was converted into a museum in the 19th century, the contents of the two cabinets were distributed in the rooms representing the various kings. The Regalia, however, were put on display for the first time in Christian V’s Room in 1922. With the opening of the underground Treasury in 1975 and the Green Cabinet in the basement in 1994, Regalia and handicrafts are once again together.Nothing remains of the original tower room decorations. The stucco ceiling, made by C.L. Fossati, dates from a restoration in 1762.