11 Frederik IV’s Cabinet
ROOM 11: This room was used by Frederik IV’s sister, Princess Sophie Hedevig, as an audience chamber; none of its original furnishings have been preserved.
When the museum of Rosenborg was arranged in the form of a chronological collection in the 19th century, the first floor was furnished with royal interiors from Frederiksberg Palace and Prinsens Palæ (“the Prince’s Mansion”). With the dissolution of Absolutism both became the property of the State. The inlaid floor is from Prinsens Palæ.
Three tapestries hang on the walls. They were executed by Berent van der Eichen, an artist from the Spanish Low Countries who lived and worked in Denmark at the end of the 17th century. The motifs of the tapestries are from Ovid’s Metamorphoses. Most of the exhibits date from the decades around 1700.