5: The Marble Room
This room was originally the bedroom of Christian IV’s morganatic (left-hand) wife, Kirsten Munk.
In 1668 Frederik III had the room furnished in a pompous Baroque style to celebrate Absolutism, introduced eight years before. Most of the exhibited items are from the same period. The ceiling was given new stucco and the walls covered with imitation marble, which was at the time much more exclusive than real marble. The ceiling paintings show putti (small, chubby, angelic child figures) carrying the Regalia; in the heart-shaped areas surrounding the paintings, the parts of the Danish coat-of-arms are shown.
Christian V, whose monogram is on one of the doors, used the Marble Room when in 1671 he bestowed the Order of Dannebrog for the very first time. Among the recipients were Griffenfeld and Cort Adeler.
The Marble Room underwent a thorough restoration from 2006-7, carried out by experts from Denmark, Germany and Italy. This was made possible with support from The A.P. Møller og Hustru Chastine Mc-Kinney Møllers Foundation.