7A The stairway to the Stair Turret
The stairway to the stair turret. In 1663 a new stair turret was built in the middle of the east side of Rosenborg Castle. The occasion was the forthcoming wedding of Christian, the Prince Elect, at which suitable access to the official chambers on the first and second storeys was required. At first a spiral staircase was built between only the first and second storeys; access to the first storey was via an outdoor double staircase.
The ground floor of the stair turret was instead used as a silver cabinet, to which there was access via the Stone Corridor (room no. 7). The spiral staircase was lengthened in 1758 so that it extended all the way down to the ground floor. At the same time the outdoor staircase was pulled down.
In the stair turret between the first and second storeys hang a number of equestrian pictures from 1691-93; the royal Danish castles can be seen behind the horses. Some of Maria Sibylla Merian’s flower paintings also hang here. The lowest part of the stair turret mainly houses portraits from the time of Christian V.