9 The Princess’s Chamber
ROOM 9: This tower chamber was originally Christian IV’s Golden Chamber and was decorated with floral designs on gilt wooden panelling. It was used for confidential interviews when the King held official receptions in the adjoining Audience Chamber.
Frederik III used the chamber for informal audiences with foreign diplomats, and in 1663-1665 he had it decorated with chinoiserie in lacquer set with turquoise and mother-of-pearl. It was executed by the Dutch artist Francis de Bray, and based on illustrated travel accounts and novels from China, Japanese lacquered boxes and decorative art. In 1716 the Chamber was restored by Christian van Bracht, and was then used by Princess Sophie Hedevig, sister of Frederik IV.
The chairs, writing and dressing table are examples of lacquered furniture made around 1730 in Canton according to “English” taste. However, two of the chairs are copies made in Copenhagen in the 1750’s. The chandelier is probably French and was rescued from the fire at Sophie Amalienborg Palace in 1689.