4A: The Garden Room
The room was originally Christian IV’s bathroom, which was connected by a passage to the King’s toilet and bedroom. The bathroom was closed in 1705-1706 and converted into a room for Frederik IV and Queen Louise, in connection with their shared bedroom. The name “The Garden Room” was first used in Frederik IV’s time. It was called so because one could sit in the room and enjoy the view over the garden.
The stucco ceiling was made by Frederik Ehbisch and the painting by Bénoit le Coffre. The wooden floor with inlays and the marbled and painted panels are from 1707.
The objects in the Garden Room are from the days of Frederik IV and Queen Louise, who were the last royal couple to take residence at Rosenborg. The chairs and the table by the central window were parts of their original furnishing.
By request of Christian VI the southern window was in 1745 replaced by a door that gave direct access to the private garden.