6: Christian V’s Hall
This was originally the living room of Christian IV’s morganatic (left-hand) wife, Kirsten Munk. During the reign of Frederik III, it became a part of the King’s suite as an antechamber to the Marble Room. The objects in this room are related to Christian V, who is seen on several portraits.
The fireplace is from Christian IV’s time. It was originally in Frederik IV’s room, but was moved here after a conversion around 1700. The ceiling also acquired its present appearance on this occasion. The central painting, showing an orchestra, is from the time of Christian IV. Bénoit le Coffre supposedly painted part of the outer frieze and the two pieces of the inner frieze with the dancing and playing children.
At the end of the 17th century the walls were covered with tapestries, made by M. Wauters and purchased by Christian V in the Netherlands.